Oakland's bustling Uptown neighborhood is the site for Trestle's latest development project, the Nook on Valdez, which is made up of 70+ micro flats with community-driven amenities. Lately, we've been enjoying the opportunity to spend more time really getting to know our neighbors and exploring all the perks of living in Uptown/Adam's Point/Lake Merritt area. Here's a few of our new favorite places in Uptown:
- The Kitchener. Whenever we walk to the site of our building, we pass by The Kitchener on 24th. The concept itself is pretty cool--it's an affordable community kitchen that is designed for startup food concepts and centered around entrepreneurial pursuits. Did we mention they intend to open a snack bar any day now? Definitely worth stopping by for a sweet treat from Great Dane's Cookie Co.
- Rare Bird. It's the perfect shop in many ways, managing to feel homey and small-town, while also having some of the chicest home accessories, clothing and gifts for pretty much anyone on your list. Just a short stroll on Piedmont Avenue from Valdez. They also carry designs from local artisans and have the friendliest, most helpful staff running the shop.
- Mua. This place is so much fun for dinner, with buzzing ambiance and awesomely eclectic design. Definitely would recommend coming with friends so you can try several different small plates.
- First Friday Oakland Art Murmur. Obviously. Watching the John Brothers Piano Company do their thing was a notable highlight during a pretty spectacular evening.
- Creative Growth Art Center. This art center, located just around the corner from the Nook, first and foremost has some amazing art on display, as well as up for grabs in their shop. Even better, the mission of the center is to serve and empower mentally, physically or emotionally disabled adults through art. The results are stunning...and gorgeous.
- Farley's East. Delicious, simple and everything you could possibly want for lunch or a snack. Our new go-to coffee shop with loads of charm, as well as pastries.
What's on your list for the best of Uptown Oakland? Share your favorites in the comments so we can check them out!